LVM, or Logical Volume Management, is a storage device management services which provides users to write your data in the physical layout of component.
LVM can be used to combine physical volumes into a single volume group to unify the storage space available on a system. Afterwards, you can segment the volume group into arbitrary logical volumes,which act as flexible partitions.
1. Create Physical Volume
2. Create Volume Group
3. Create Logical Partition
- No downtime needed for increased/resize the partition.
- Logical volumes can have meaning full name like backup,home,mysql etc.
- Easy to identify the name of logical volumes name.
- Easy to remove physical hard drive from volume group and reattach it without any downtime.
- Take snapshot of Logical Volume.
- Easy to restore from Snapshot